Skip to main content

Deciem Review Series - The Ordinary - Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate 10% - First Impressions



Welcome back to my blog!  It's been a while since I began trialling a range of products from The Ordinary; since my last post I've collected and trialled quite a lot from this brand, which I'll continue to review.  I thought I might go back now to my initial purchases and finish up my first impressions on these.  Today, I'm going to talk about the Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate 10% - one of the Vitamin C offerings from the brand.

This product is the most gentle from the stable of Vitamin C products that The Ordinary offers; it's rated at a 'moderate' potency on the Deciem website, with the other formulations that they offer rated 'high' or 'very high'.  It uses a water-soluble Vitamin C derivative (MAP)  rather than L-ascorbic acid and as such, it's both less irritating and less potent.  It's also purported to have specific skin brightening benefits, more so than the L-ascorbic acid based products.  

This is a cream formulation, supplied in the same style tube that the Vitamin C 23% + HA Spheres 2% comes in.  It is quite similar in thickness and texture to the Vitamin C also, perhaps a little more liquid - but that's where the comparison ends.  This formulation is like the classy and smooth sister to the Vitamin C 23%.   It's cosmetically elegant, with none of the grittiness and pilling associated with it's more aggressive sibling.  I didn't have any issues layering this product, which is important if you're like me and have multi-step routines.

I definitely noticed a brightening effect while using this, which is great.  It's one of those products that you can just slot right into your routine, without having to worry too much about 'making it work' with your other skincare.  Also, I didn't experience even a hint of irritation;  if anything this cream feels quite soothing and calming on the skin, which was a little unexpected!  

The only negative, which honestly isn't really all that negative, is that I do prefer to use a L-Ascorbic Acid product, for the stronger antioxidant benefits.  Yeah, that's all I've got for negatives really, this is a pretty great product!

Overall,  a really pleasant to use cream - if you find Vitamin C products too stingy for your skin, but would like some of the benefits and a brightening effect in a gentler package, this might be the one for you!  

I've recently picked up and am trialling the Vitamin C 30% in silicone, so keep an eye out for my review on that particular offering!  So far I'm quite enjoying it, as I do love the feel of silicone based skin products.


Comments